Fish Pie With Butternut Squash Topping
- 500 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- 500 g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 4 spring onions
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 25g pack or small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of freshly grated Cheddar cheese
- 400 g fish pie mix, such as cod, smoked haddock, salmon and prawns
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- A handful of frozen petits pois, plus extra to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
Boil the sweet potatoes and butternut squash for 10 minutes, or until soft. Mash together with half of the butter and set aside.
Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium–high heat. Cook the spring onions and carrots for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the cream, mustard, lemon juice and chives, and gradually add half the cheese until it melts.
Place the fish in a baking tray, and sprinkle the hard-boiled eggs all over. Pour the cheese sauce on top and add the peas. Layer the potato and butternut squash mash all over the fish and scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
Cook for 25 minutes. Serve with extra peas.